There are a number of global documents, protocols and initiatives that relate to gender equality and the economic upliftment of women to achieve such equality.
These documents include;
- The UN Compact and UN 7 Empowerment Principles.
- Beijing Declaration & Platform of Action 1995.
- CEDAW – Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women 2004.
- Millennium Development Goals. Moving to a regional context we have;
- SADC Gender & Development Declaration
- Addendum to Declaration
- SADC Gender & Development Protocol 2008.
- African Charter on Human & Peoples Rights 1981.
Again, all referring to the economic development of women coupled to gender equality. Moving directly to South Africa, the government is a signature to, or supportive of all of the above protocols and goals.